Tuesday, May 3, 2016

I'm #TeamKimChi


http://www.chadsellcomics.com/wp-content/gallery/cq-kim/966077_616081665071259_2060034211_o.jpg

I'm a HUGE fan of Rupaul's Drag Race. I've watched several seasons live and have even seen a few queens in the flesh (I was not disappointed, unlike my experience with Hamburger Mary's nasty guacamole. What a disgrace!) Every Monday night, like a junkie who needs a fix, I stay glued to my seat as I await a new episode. I bet, I predict, I holler at the screen. It's my humble participation in sports...or the Olympics...or whatever.

LET'S TALK ABOUT SEASON 8 (current season) AND KIM CHI, THE KOREAN AVANT GARDE PRINCESS.

https://45.media.tumblr.com/d2c2f9b6f6baa17d7b359d8bd421c649/tumblr_o3lbm92asC1sv9k5oo1_540.gif

Kim Chi often spoke about drag's diversity problem (where are all the Asian drag queens?) and embracing your flaws (she immigrated to this country as a child and still faces language constraints, much like myself) during the competition. The visibility she represented week after week meant a lot to me, and her talent and success on the show (her makeup is simply art, coupled with her looks) made me an instant fan. I hope she wins in two weeks! Also...fried chicken buttholes. That's all.

I discussed with a friend that I think she has the potential to really catapult drag into a new direction with her emphasis on high fashion, experimental #looks and her strong cultural background. It's very rare to see anyone with this amount of attention who is Asian and in  the LGBTQ community, so I'm VERY glad she's being celebrated (and recognized) for her talents.

0 comments:

Post a Comment